Power Grid Corporation of India – Roles, Exam, Syllabus, Selection Process, and Benefits
Power Grid Corporation of India is a government-owned business that ensures the development of a smooth and economical system of inter-state transmission lines for the flow of electricity from generating stations to load centers. Headquartered in New Delhi, Power Grid Corporation of India recruits thousands of individuals every year from all over the country.
The Power Grid Corporation of India exam is one of the most sought-after exams among aspiring individuals who are looking for a government job in the country. In this article, we will the various roles for which you can apply along with the different exams, syllabus, selection process, and benefits of working with Power Grid Corporation of India.
Different Roles Available With Power Grid Corporation of India
Power Grid Corporation of India recruits for a number of different positions each year. Some of the different roles available with Power Grid Corporation of India include Assistant Engineers, Management Trainee, and Sr. Engineers among several other positions. All of these positions are much sought among aspiring individuals who are looking to work in a government organization.
The Power Grid Corporation of India exam pattern varies based on the position for which the recruitment is conducted. Being said that, the recruitment for the post of Assistant Engineer and Assistant Chemist done through an online test. The online is usually divided into two main sections, subject knowledge test, and aptitude test. For the aptitude test, you can expect the test questions from General Awareness, English, Quantitative Aptitude, and Reasoning topics.
Moreover, if Power Grid Corporation of India is recruiting for engineering-level positions, the candidates are first shortlisted through the GATE exam, and then might have to appear for an internal online, objective-based test for further process.
For the GATE exam, the two sections consist of different numbers of questions. For instance, the aptitude section has 10 questions and the technical section has 55 questions. In total, you get 180 minutes to solve the entire paper. Moreover, there is a negative marking of 1/3 for each incorrect answer.
Syllabus for Power Grid Corporation of India Exam
- English – Spelling Test, Synonyms, Sentence Completion, Antonyms, Error Correction, Spotting Errors, Passage Completion, and Fill in the Blanks among others.
- General Awareness – General Science, Culture, Tourism, Rivers, Lakes, and Seas, Indian History, Current Affairs, Indian Economy, and Famous Places in India among others.
- Quantitative Aptitude – Indices, Problems on Trains, Probability, Average, Compound Interest, Areas, Numbers and Ages, Profit and Loss, and Number Problems among others.
- Reasoning – Letter and Symbol, Data Sufficiency, Cause and Effect, Making Judgements, Non-Verbal Reasoning, Verbal Classification, and Data Interpretation among others.
Syllabus for GATE Exam
- Aptitude – The Aptitude section of the GATE exam consists of Mathematics, General Awareness, and Reasoning.
- Technical – In the Technical section, you can expect questions from core subjects such as Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronics.
Eligibility Criteria for Power Grid Corporation of India Exam
Different exams conducted by Power Grid Corporation of India have different eligibility criteria. However, most of the criteria remain the same across examinations.
For management trainee positions
- You must be a citizen of India.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or diploma in the respective discipline with a 60% aggregate.
- You must be in the age group of 18 to 24 years.
For Engineering Position
- You must be a citizen of India.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering in the respective discipline from a recognized institute in India with 60% in aggregate.
- The upper limit of the age is 28 years.
Apart from these requirements, some age relaxations have been provided to candidates of different categories. For instance, if you belong to SC and ST category, Power Grid Corporation of India offers an age relaxation of 5 years. For the OBC category, the age relaxation is of 3 years, for the PWD category the age relaxation is of 10 years.
Selection Process for Power Grid Corporation of India Recruitment
The selection process for Power Grid Corporation of India includes a written test conducted by BPCL. After clearing the written test, candidates are called in for an interview round. After the interview, the candidates have to go through a medical test. Only if the candidate clears the medical test, they get the recruitment with Power Grid Corporation of India.
However, the selection process for an engineering-level position is a bit difficult. After clearing the GATE exam, Power Grid Corporation of India shortlists the candidates and then only calls the qualified individuals for group discussion and interview rounds. Only those candidates are considered for selection who clear the group discussion as well as the interview round conducted by BPCL.
Benefits of Working with Power Grid Corporation of India
There are several benefits and perks available when you join any government-owned organization in India. However, working with Power Grid Corporation of India provides you with an amazing set of perks unlike any other.
For instance, when working with Power Grid Corporation of India you get a cell phone, life insurance, paid sick leave, casual dress and working atmosphere, education, on-job training, company pension plan, certification reimbursement, and several others.
Getting a job with a government-owned enterprise is one of the toughest things in India. Therefore, it is very crucial that you start preparing for such exams in advance. Moreover, passing these exams is also difficult, as Power Grid Corporation of India follows a stringent recruitment process. Therefore, it becomes necessary to know the exact details such as exam patterns and syllabus topics before you appear for the exam.